Skip to main content

Best I've Come Across Round-up: Historical Fiction Edition V


You may be wondering why this post looks a bit different today. Regular readers know that I'm pretty good at finding writing resources, tips, and fun stuff and passing them along to my followers on social media, and every couple of weeks I compile the best of what I come across in a recap post for this blog. But this edition is special! It has a theme near and dear to my heart: Historical fiction! Historical fiction is one of the most difficult genres to write, yet guidance can be hard to come by. Browse through the writing section of your favorite bookseller and you'll find dozens of titles on writing romance, mystery, sci-fi, memoirs--but you're lucky if you find one title on writing historical fiction. So when I come across a good resource online, I save it, and I've been earmarking my historical fiction finds for a post just like this! Without further ado, here they are:

Conducting Field Research for More Authentic Nonfiction & Historic Fiction

13 Insights on Historical Fiction

8 Rules for Writing Historical Fiction

Writing Lessons from Dorothy Dunnett's The Game of Kings

Writing with Wonder: Weaving Time and Place with Story in Historical Fiction

Bartering with the Facts: How a Novelist Solves a Historical Problem

This is NOT Research Advice

How to Write Historical Fiction