Skip to main content

Big News: The Thirty-Ninth Man Finds a Publisher!

I am thrilled to announce that my client Dale Swanson and his forthcoming novel, The Thirty-Ninth Man, have been signed with North Star Press for publication in June of next year! I worked with Dale on a developmental edit and a copyedit, keeping in mind his goal of finding publication with a publisher interested in Minnesota history. The Thirty-Ninth Man is full of action and adventure, but also provides the reader with insight into the terrible injustices inflicted upon the Sioux by the U.S. Government, and the political maneuvering and machinations of agents, traders, and businessmen, all anxious to profit from the decline of the Sioux. It's a poignant and powerful read, and should appeal to anyone interested in this dark time in our nation's history.

Here's the book description:

“Article I: There shall be a firm and perpetual peace between the Sioux and Chippewas; between the Sioux and the confederated tribes of Sacs and Foxes; and between the Ioways and the Sioux."

On August 19, 1825, in a place called Prairie du Chien, Michigan Territory, under the guise of concern but wrapped in a cloak of deceit, the federal government began a series of treaties with the Sioux Nation that would lead to the outbreak of the Sioux Wars, and the end of a way of life.

In 1862 with the beginnings of the Sioux Wars in the Minnesota River Valley, a mixed blood named Anton McAllister balances on the razor thin line separating corrupt Indian agents, unscrupulous fur traders, the U.S. Army, and powerful chiefs from the Chippewa and Dakota nations. When his best friend is falsely accused of war crimes and sentenced to die, Anton finds himself in a race to save his friend from the gallows.

You can visit Dale on LinkedIn, and he is hard at work on his author website and I will post the link as soon as he's ready. Now, here's what Dale had to say about me and my services:

Jenny has my unequivocal recommendation for her editorial services, and here’s why:
  • She did a copyedit on the first pages at no cost to assess my writing and set her fee accordingly.
  • Her turnaround time is exceptional and her notes on my manuscript were detailed and thoughtful.
  • She was not shy about pointing out things that didn’t quite work and her suggestions were well thought out and concise.
  • She went beyond what I purchased, offering coaching tips and support when asked.
  • Her edits prepped my manuscript to be print ready with the end result—selection by a local press for publication.
It was very gratifying to have the legitimate North Star Press select my historical novel, The Thirty-Ninth Man, to add to their impressive list of published books. There is no doubt that Jenny’s editing helped make it happen. I will use her in the future and consider myself fortunate to have found her. In my mind she is more than an editor, she is a friend. Thanks Jenny!

If you're looking for some editorial support for your work-in-progress, please don't hesitate to contact me! 
jennyq@historicaleditorial.com