Skip to main content

Best I've Come Across Round-up: The Historical Fiction Edition III


You may be wondering why this post looks a bit different today. Regular readers know that I'm pretty good at finding writing resources, tips, and fun stuff and passing them along to my followers on social media, and every couple of weeks I compile the best of what I come across in a recap post for this blog. But this edition is special! It has a theme near and dear to my heart: Historical fiction! Historical fiction is one of the most difficult genres to write, yet guidance can be hard to come by. Browse through the writing section of your favorite bookseller and you'll find dozens of titles on writing romance, mystery, sci-fi, memoirs--but you're lucky if you find one title on writing historical fiction. So when I come across a good resource online, I save it, and I've been earmarking my historical fiction finds for a post just like this! Without further ado, here they are:

5 Ingredients of Favorite Historical Fiction

The 1870s in Fashionable Gowns: A Visual Guide to the Decade

The Stakes are High When the Stakes are Small

On Historical Fiction: How Accurate is Accurate Enough?

7 Ways to Make Your Historical Novel Come Alive

History Isn't a "Useless" Major

3 Recent Essays About Historical Fiction